Fresno Federal Crimes Defense Attorney
Call today: (559) 443-7442
Don’t stand against the power of the federal government alone. California federal defense lawyer Michael McKneely has the skill to fight your federal criminal charge.
Any kind of criminal charge can be devastating, but when it comes to federal crimes, the stakes are raised and the implications can be scary. Fresno federal criminal defense attorney Michael McKneely has successfully handled federal criminal cases for people across the United States. He has 15 years of experience representing people in local, state, and federal courts, and he knows how to build a solid case to defend your rights. Call Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer today at (559) 443-7442 to find out what he can do for you.
State Crimes v. Federal Crimes
Many criminal charges are brought under California law and are prosecuted in state courts. However, in certain situations, a crime may be prosecuted in the federal court system.
Situations in which a crime may be prosecuted in a federal court include:
- Criminal activity is prohibited by U.S. federal legislation
- A federal interest is at stake, such as national security
- Criminal activity occurred in more than one state or travel across state lines was involved
- Criminal activity occurred on federal property, such as a national park, military base, or post office
It is possible for certain conduct to be illegal under both state and federal laws. In such a situation, both entities have the ability to prosecute the crime. However, one government typically defers jurisdiction, or power, to the other. In some rare cases, both governments will pursue criminal charges. Unfortunately, the Constitution’s restriction against “double jeopardy” only applies to being tried twice for one offense by the same entity.
State and federal courts have different rules, and attorneys must be specially admitted to practice in federal district courts. Fresno federal criminal defense attorney Mike McKneely is not only admitted to most of the federal courts in California, but he has experience practicing law in federal courts elsewhere in the United States as well.
Having an experienced Fresno federal criminal defense attorney counts in the courtroom. Mike McKneely will be with you every step of the way.
Penalties and Collateral Consequences of Federal Crimes
Federal crimes usually involve penalties that are harsher than typical state crimes. Convictions for federal offenses often come with substantial time in federal prison, and the collateral consequences can be unexpected and severe.
Common consequences of federal crimes may include:
- Incarceration in federal prison
- A permanent criminal record
- Large monetary fines and court fees
- Lost custody of children or denied visitation rights
- Loss of professional licenses to be a nurse, teach, or practice law or medicine
- Loss of immigration visa or work permit, denial of citizenship, or deportation
- Difficulty obtaining a job
- Inability to rent a house or apartment
- Inability to obtain financial aid for school
And, these consequences may be in addition to state criminal penalties already imposed. If you’ve been charged with a federal crime in Fresno, you need an experienced California federal defense lawyer by your side. Fresno federal criminal defense attorney Mike McKneely will learn the facts and fight for you in court.
An Experienced Federal Defense Attorney Can Help
Federal defense attorney Michael McKneely has worked on both sides of the criminal courtroom for more than 10 years. His time as a prosecutor gave him intimate knowledge of how the system works from the inside. Now he is a seasoned criminal defense lawyer who knows how to build a strong case against federal criminal charges. He will learn the facts of your case and present them to the prosecutor, judge, and jury. He will defend your rights in court when allegations are made against you.
Call Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer today to find out how Mike McKneely can help you.
Federal Crimes Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer Handles
Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer has experience with all types of federal crimes. Fresno criminal defense attorney Mike McKneely has handled everything from violent crimes in California to federal sex crimes in East Coast federal courts. There is no case too big or too complex for him. He will utilize every resource available to build a strong defense against your federal charges.
Crimes Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer handles include:
- Federal Sex Crimes – Illegal sexual behavior can result in serious criminal penalties and even life in prison. Federal sex crimes attorney Mike McKneely will learn the facts of your case and help you obtain the best possible outcome.
- Federal Child Pornography Charges – Technology and the internet can lead good people astray. Federal child pornography charges can be devastating. Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer handles these cases and does so successfully and with compassion.
- Federal Drug Charges – Although California has become more lenient on some drug offenses, the federal government has not. If you’ve been charged with a federal drug offense, you need an experienced Fresno federal drug defense attorney by your side.
- Federal Fraud Charges – Allegations of fraud can tarnish your reputation and result in a permanent criminal record. Let California federal fraud defense attorney Michael McKneely help you navigate the federal criminal justice system.
- Federal Racketeering Charges – Racketeering and related organized crime charges are dealt with seriously under federal laws, such as the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer will learn the facts of your case, defend you in court, and help you move forward with your life as quickly as possible.
- Federal Gun Crimes – The federal government is constantly changing gun legislation. These laws can be complex and offenses can result in serious penalties. Fresno federal weapons crime attorney Mike McKneely will defend your Constitutional rights while working to reduce charges brought against you.
- Federal Theft Charges – Several federal laws address theft offenses, and all of them can result in serious penalties and often unexpected collateral consequences. Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer will make sure your rights are respected throughout the investigation and trial process.
- Federal Murder & Manslaughter Charges – Murder, manslaughter, and related offenses can lead to decades and even a lifetime in prison. Let an experienced murder defense attorney in Fresno from Michael McKneely, Criminal Defense Lawyer fight for your freedom in court.